100 Years of History
This is a photo of our first family business, a wagon shop, started in the late 1800’s by Jacob Gehm. The building was originally a hotel on the Ohio Canal. Upon Jacob’s passing, his youngest son, Fred Gehm, took over the shop with a partner.
The eldest son, John W. Gehm, founded the Summit Bottling Works, a soft drink company in 1922. After five years, he switched to distributing CO2 gas and servicing fountain equipment for its use. John’s son, Harold W., continued the operation of the CO2
and syrup distribution.
Summit Bottling Works was originally located on Thornton Street, then moved to Brown Street where the company name changed to John W. Gehm & Sons. The current location is on South Arlington Street and the name has been changed to Gehm & Sons, Ltd.
In 1963, Russell A. Gehm, John’s second eldest son, brought the distribution of Dry Ice into the business. Some years later, his son Russell W. Gehm (a.k.a. Bill) continued the Dry Ice operation. In 2000, Bill’s sons, Russell W. Gehm II and Harold W. Gehm II, took over the daily operation of the business. We are now proudly into the fifth generation, continuing our fine family tradition.